August 8, 2017
FUTURE FOCUS: EMERGING DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT EXHIBITION
Presented by the AIA Detroit Emerging Professionals Committee
AIA Detroit would like to recognize the contributions made by Emerging Professionals at this year’s Celebration of Architecture, and beyond. By calling for both academic and professional works, this exhibition hopes to shed light on critical research, important conversations, diverse portfolios, and impactful work that Emerging Professionals contribute to the profession both here in the city of Detroit and beyond. Selected work will be displayed at this year’s Celebration of Architecture, an event with over 3,000 attendees in 2016, and which coincides with the Detroit Design Festival and Eastern Market After Dark. The exhibition will then be remounted at future AIA Detroit events, including the AIA National Leadership Institute and AIA Detroit Annual Meeting on November 16th.
We are seeking projects in 3 major categories: Unbuilt, Built, and Detroit. While a project may qualify in more than one category, the committee asks that applicants pick a primary category under which to submit their work. All approved entries will be featured on the AIA Detroit website. Projects selected by the Exhibition Jury will be featured at Celebration on September 28, 2017.
All categories will consider both academic and professional works designed within the last 5 years.
- Unbuilt – design competitions or student work, hypothetical projects, research oriented work, publications or other non-traditional architectural works
- Built – projects (architecture or otherwise) which have begun construction by the submission deadline or have been completed within the last 5 years
- Detroit – works sited within the city that are uniquely Detroit
The jury will be comprised of members of the AIA Detroit’s Executive and Emerging Professionals Committees and have full discretion in reviewing projects to be included in the exhibition. Projects will be judged in a blind format without consideration for author, affiliated academic institution or professional firm.
All work is to be submitted digitally to FutureFocus@AIADetroit.com no later than 6:00pm, WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 6th.
- Completed Project Information Form Download here
- Completed Concealed Identification Form and Waiver (for work completed with a firm, if applicable) Download here
- 2-5 high resolution project images – images should best represent work contributed to the project if completed in a larger team, no identifying logos or names should be included with the images – Images are to be formatted in a single 24” wide x 36” tall board and submitted as a PDF file no larger than 5MB
- Each submission must represent a single project, however, entrants may submit multiple projects
- All persons or firms who contributed to the design of a project submission must be given credit for their involvement. All submissions must include a complete list of participants. Failure to disclose a comprehensive list of contributors to a project will result in the project being removed from the website and taken out of consideration for exhibition at the Celebration event.
Any difficulties in submitting work or other questions can be directed to: FutureFocus@AIADetroit.com