July 10, 2023
Royal Oak, MI
Experience: 7+ years
GMB is currently seeking a full-time advanced-level Project Architect.
We are seeking professionals interested in championing the design throughout all phases for a variety of projects in K-12 and Higher Education Markets. A professional in this role will be sought out as a mentor on GMB’s project teams in all aspects of project design, construction documentation, and field observation.
Why Work with Us?
This is the part where most job descriptions jump into the responsibilities and requirements for the role being posted – and we’ll get there shortly! But we like to start with the why instead of the what.
Our purpose is to help build strong communities through educational opportunities. We focus on projects within the educational ecosystem, from Pre-K through Higher Education, and spaces in our community that support lifelong learning. Our team of educational planners, architects, and engineers get to work on a wide range of project types for a diverse set of clients, and we’re proud of the impact that our work has on the lives and trajectories of students throughout the Midwest. Will you join us?
As a Project Architect with GMB you will:
* Develop project documentation for multiple projects of varying scale and type
* Assist in developing programmatic documentation and studies
* Clearly communicate design internally and externally
* Prepare construction drawings and specifications to meet owner’s goals
* Assist with construction administration and closeout documentation efforts
* Apply knowledge of design, construction methodology, architectural building systems, codes, and material application
* Ensure coordination across multidisciplinary project teams
* Actively participate in an internal Project Architecture & Design team: developing strategies and best practices to ensure high-quality work, sharing knowledge, ensuring discipline quality, and building relationships
* Have the opportunity to work in a primarily ‘remote’ environment yet have the ability to work in the field or one of our learning hubs and needed
What type of knowledge do I need to succeed in this role?
More than a specific degree and exact number of years of experience, we’re most excited about what kind of knowledge you bring. For this role, we are seeking someone with advanced knowledge who uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways with the ability to guide and support more junior people performing related tasks.
Some components that may help indicate you are at this knowledge milestone include more tangible items like:
* Professional degree in Architecture from an accredited college/university
* 7+ years of experience in an architectural firm
* Thoroughness in drawing and communicating design
* Proficiency executing architectural details
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to prioritize work, manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines
* Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
* Proficiency in Revit
What might set you apart from other candidates?
* Architectural registration, completed or in-progress
* Passion for Education Market. Experience with the K-12 and Higher Education markets is a plus
* Strong knowledge of design, construction methodology, architectural building systems, and material application
* Experience with AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, or other 3D modeling, animation, rendering computer graphics programs
* Familiarity with specification writing
We might be a great match for each other if you are:
* A self-starter with great time management skills who thrives in an environment with team-based decision-making.
* An individual who strives to learn and grow, is motivated by their team’s success , and works hard to ensure it.
* Someone who enjoys trying new ideas and constantly improving.
What you might also like to know is that:
We’re an employee-owned company. This means that 100% of the ownership at GMB is held by us as employees. Our creativity, skills, and expertise have a direct impact on our value and growth. Your role as a teammate will have a direct impact on the company’s actions and result in a share in its profits.
GMB doesn’t operate within a hierarchical pyramid structure; instead, we operate like a network of teams that come together around specific goals working toward our overarching purpose. We think this is a better way to work and help everyone reach their potential.
Finally, at GMB we embrace a flexible workplace that empowers each person to decide where and how they work best. Our inclusive, people-first culture encourages teams to collaborate, communicate and find fulfillment personally and professionally, regardless of location or schedule.
This is a direct-hire, full-time, permanent position. Salary will be commensurate with experience, including an excellent benefits package. Must have current and continuing right to work in the United States without sponsorship. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.