Date: August 09, 2019 | Time: 1:00pm-5:00pm
All are welcome to join us, one does not need to be an AIA Member.
Check-in location: Durfee Innovation Society located at 2470 Collingwood Detroit, MI 48206 (arrive 30 minutes before shift)
The Vision for the 2019 Six Day Project (August 5 – 10) includes clearing every blighted alleyway within a four square mile geography surrounding the Durfee Innovation Society.
Life Remodeled will provide the tools and oversight to help deliver impactful and highly organized volunteer experiences. All volunteers MUST wear the Life Remodeled provided t-shirt. Please also wear closed-toe shoes, comfortable work pants or shorts, sunglasses or protective eyewear, sun screen, and bug spray. PLEASE EAT LUNCH BEFORE ARRIVING TO CHECK IN.
From the Life Remodeled website:
As 2019 marks the 52nd year anniversary of the 1967 Detroit uprising, Life Remodeled and our partners continue to invest in the neighborhood surrounding Central High School and the Durfee Innovation Society, in the community where Detroit’s civil unrest began. Our collective impact serves not only as a powerful commemoration of the progress that has been made, but also the progress we continue to strive toward.
In the past, Life Remodeled made only one year investments into neighborhoods, however in 2017 we decided to commit a minimum of four years per community. Therefore, we will remain focused on the Durfee/Central community until at least the year 2020.
In 2017 we:
• began renovating and repurposing the former Durfee Elementary Middle School building (adjacent to Central High School) into the Durfee Innovation Society
• repaired 53 homes
• mobilized 11,032 volunteers in six days
• boarded up 534 vacant houses
• removed blight on 367 blocks
During our 2018 Six Day Project, we mobilized 10,397 volunteers on the same blocks, but went beyond blight removal. In response to the vision and requests of students and community residents, we:
• Beautified 316 city blocks
• Boarded up 396 houses
• Cleared 102 alleyways
• Planted more than 700 trees, shrubs and perennials
• Built 2 community gardens and upgraded 4 more
• Installed 20 Little Free Libraries along Safe Routes
• Designated the safest routes to Durfee and Central schools with artwork
• Installed 3 new bus shelters
• Installed 5 grills and picnic tables at neighborhood parks
• Installed 2 sets of bleachers for the Central High School softball field
• Added neighborhood signage
• Significantly improved Central High School’s football facilities and equipment (renovated the press box that had been vandalized, repaired the home bleachers and handicap ramps, installed a new scoreboard, and helped get new uniforms and equipment for the team and headsets for the coaches)
*All volunteers must be at least 14 years old.