June 20, 2019
inFORM studio seeking Director of Mechanical Engineering
inFORM studio is focused on finding talented and dedicated people to join our Metro Detroit studio. We are a design collective devoted to inspiring culture and impacting communities. As a human focused team of designers, we place a strong emphasis on creating experiential connections between people and place. By integrating advanced technologies throughout our design process, we’re able to develop solutions that go beyond formal expression and respond to a range of client-valued performance metrics. We are seeking an experienced engineer with a strong knowledge of construction systems as they apply to the mechanical and plumbing engineering disciplines within the building industry.
Desired qualifications include:
• Demonstrated capability in designing various HVAC system types.
• Expertise in writing specifications and working knowledge of Speclink
• Familiarity with ASHRAE, IMC and all relevant HVAC codes
• Familiarity with Uniform Plumbing Code, ASPE standards and all relevant plumbing codes
• Proficiency with Revit and integrated BIM specifications
• Experience in load calculations and energy modeling
• Professional Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Licensed PE
• NCEES certification
• LEED Accreditation (preferred)
The selected applicant will collaborate with design teams in problem solving for a myriad of building types. Candidates should be prepared to collaborate with other mechanical consultants for more specialized projects to assist the architectural design team.
The position is anticipated to entail the following:
• Lead and build the mechanical engineering discipline within the studio
o Work with and coordinate closely with Director of Electrical Engineering
o Work with the Managing Principal to determine workload for staff mechanical engineers
o Maintain department budget and coordinate expenditures with CFO and Director of Electrical Engineering
o Mentor and guide current and future staff mechanical engineers
o Work with Marketing to develop RFQ’s/RFP’s for proposal work
o Develop project budgets and coordinate with Project Leaders/Architects and other Principals
• Design of building HVAC systems and complete construction documentation in Revit.
• Engineering analysis including – load calculation, energy modeling, façade thermal analysis and provide equipment sizing.
• Evaluate existing facilities systems for reuse, adaptation or replacement for proposed use.
• Layout engineering drawings for plumbing systems including water supply, sanitary, storm water roof drainage, natural gas systems and equipment sizing.
• Assist in selection of all plumbing fixtures, drains and equipment, and complete all sizing and schedules for basic plumbing components.
• Review and estimate construction budgets.
• Design assistance with project teams on technical criteria with opportunities for innovative solutions.
• Provide code review and technical oversight at key periods on relevant projects.
• Responsible for signing & sealing mechanical and plumbing permit documents for numerous jurisdictions in various states throughout the country.