January 8, 2019
Company: Stantec Consulting
Position: Business Center Managing Leader
Job Closes: Jan 21, 2019
Contact: Lydia Simmons LSimmons@Stantec.com
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
An exciting opportunity exists for a successful candidate to become one of the leaders in Stantec’s Buildings Groups as a Business Center Managing Leader (BCML) for the Berkley, MI office. Stantec’s Buildings group in Berkley, MI is a 50-person group that provides Architecture, Interior Design, Planning and Buildings Engineering services with a long history and deep commitment to higher education. This BC additionally serves as the engineering hub across the buildings practice.
The BCML is the recognized operational leader of a Business Center (BC), accountable for the attainment of the BC’s management, financial, and performance objectives. The BCML is expected to consult and/or participate in significant proposals and projects undertaken within a BC. With strong operational skills and working with the Business Center Sector and Discipline Leaders, the BCML is responsible for the attainment of financial operating results and objectives of the BC, the development of annual operating budgets and the preparation and implementation of the BC business plans and practice area goals, with a primary focus on technical excellence, growth and financial objectives.
As a recognized leader in our market sectors, the BCML works well within a collaborative leadership structure and is collectively responsible for the operational and financial health of the Business Center (BC). The BCML’s primary focus is to achieve operational excellence yielding strong financial performance while maintaining an engaged and passionate team of staff and more than satisfied clients.
The successful candidate for this position will play a vital role in driving critical business processes, ensuring operational excellence, and supporting Stantec’s growth in the Michigan market and the Buildings practice at large. Candidates should have the proven ability to articulate their vision for the Business Center and create an elevated level of engagement with all staff. The BCML plays a primary role in ensuring the cultural and operational unity of our team and collaborates closely with the Business Center Sector Leader (BCSL) and Business Center Discipline Leaders (BCDL) to deliver professional A&E services throughout the State of Michigan and beyond. The ideal candidate will possess a thorough understanding of the buildings industry and market trends with emphasis on operational efficiency and collaboration.
The BCML must be an individual who has the personality, experience, and ability to effectively lead, challenge, and inspire staff to work cohesively as a team to support the vision of the Buildings practice in becoming the world’s leading integrated design firm as well as the growth strategy in the Michigan market. The BCML reports directly to the Great Lakes Regional Leader and works closely with the Buildings US Central Regional Business Leader.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Support our strong design and people-oriented culture
- Achieve operational and financial objectives
- Development of annual operating budgets
- Foster collaboration across business lines
- Recruit, attract, grow, and retain talented staff
- Implement Stantec policies and strategies
- In partnership with the Sector Leaders enhance and achieve marketing and business development objectives and associated costs
- Proposal preparation/consultation and professional fee negotiation and scheduling
- In collaboration with the architecture and engineering discipline leaders, achieve the technical quality, and project management objectives
- Manage a team of Project Management professionals
- Monitor and schedule project workload and allocation of resources for projects
- Coach, mentor, and develop all staff as well as identify future leaders
- Work together with the other leaders to represent Buildings and the company within the Michigan market and beyond
- Achieve and maintain compliance with corporate policies and industry standards
- Vested participation in regional initiatives as required
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- A thorough understanding of the Architectural Industry
- The candidate will have knowledge in the marketing, design, project management and contract administration of successful projects
Strong leadership, financial management, communication and team building skills are essential
- Prior consulting experience, within the Architectural Discipline, and established client and agency contacts are desirable
- Demonstrated understanding of the local and overall market, BD process, staff retention and development, and the operations of the various expertise within the Architectural group within our Berkley MI office a must
- A results oriented professional with strong communication and business development skills who excels in a multi-disciplinary environment
- The candidate shall have a desire to succeed, be enthusiastic, and possess a high degree of integrity
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering or related field required.
- Professional registration in buildings related field (architecture, engineering, interior design)
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in the development, implementation and execution of architectural and building engineering projects