Our firm was given the opportunity to invigorate a tired building which fronts on three streets at the edge of the Downtown Historic District, in Birmingham, Michigan. The building was originally a brick and limestone structure built in the late 1880’s, which subsequently caught fire in the 1960’s. Over 50 years later, we were challenged to create a new modern structure to be the future of this urban corner.
Birmingham is an eclectic mix of styles and materials from the late 1800’s and every decade that followed. We saw this as opportunity to show that modern elements can coexist with the old instead of building new that tries to replicate the past.
A simple pallet of white marble, textured granite, aluminum, clear glass, zinc, and weathered steel panels were scripted into a clean modern structure that at the same time addresses the pedestrians, streets, and skyline.