Completed in 2016, this design took a historic hotel that had declined into a decaying, hulking eyesore and transformed it into a viable asset in the heart of Midtown, Detroit. The structure was built in the 1920s as two separate but connected hotels before consolidating in 1930 and ultimately being renovated into apartments in the 1960s. The building shut down in 2004 and remained vacant for nearly a decade. In 2012, the right mix of design and funding sources united to save the building from demolition.
Despite immense damage from the elements, vandalism and theft, designers were able to salvage or recreate many original features to restore the grandeur of the historic hotel, like the decorative plaster ceilings, wood wainscot, terrazzo and marble floors, and marble stair in the lobby, while renovating floors two through eight into contemporary apartments.