March 15, 2016
Experience: 4-8 Years
SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe that extraordinary projects are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2015 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 7th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
The Detroit, Michigan office of SmithGroupJJR, named one of Southeast Michigan’s Top 100 Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press in 2013, 2014 and 2015, is looking for an Intermediate Architect to join our team. Our practice offers local, national and international projects of all sizes including opportunities with our other offices. We are seeking several talented individuals who are committed to design excellence, who thrives in an environment of collaboration and who demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit.
Working with us, you will:
• Prepare original architectural plans, diagrams, and data visualization.
• Perform limited design assignments under general supervision.
• Independently evaluate, select and apply standard planning techniques, procedures and criteria using judgment for minor adaptations and modifications.
• Recommend procedures in planning matters.
• Work from plans/designs of others to compile data and perform design computations.
• Assist in writing specifications.
• Visits construction sites to gather information.
• Receives instruction on specific assignment objectives and independently provides solutions for these objectives.
• Support more senior planners and architects on large projects.
An ideal candidate has:
• 4-8 years’ experience with professional degree in Architecture, with experience in Health/Workplace/Learning and/or Science & Technology projects preferred.
• LEED AP or LEED AP BD+C accreditation.
• Eligibility to take the Architectural Registration Examination (ARE), or already a Registered Architect.
• On-the-job experience using Revit to produce construction documents.
• High proficiency with Revit, AutoCAD, Sketch-up, Photoshop, Illustrator and In-Design programs.
• Strong analytical and conceptual skills and ability to grasp complex functional program requirements.
• Strong background in design.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• The ability to work well in a team environment with a collaborative and professional work ethic.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by visiting our website at www.smithgroupjjr.com. Be sure to fill in the required information, and submit your cover letter, resume and samples of design work as attachments. Please include salary requirements in your cover letter.