February 27, 2018
Jefferson East, Inc.
Experience: 3-5 Years
Economic Development & Design Manager —
Helping Transform a Corridor and Historic Neighborhoods in Detroit
About the position
JEI is looking for a versatile designer to join our team and be a part of exciting urban, multi-family affordable and market rate housing, commercial retail, urban design and concept projects. This position requires the ability to apply a diverse set of skills to a wide range of issues. Our work is mission driven, fulfilling, and fun all at the same time, yet fluid enough that you may work on the design of a building, a site plan, engage community members, create graphics, put together a development package, perform code and feasibility analysis, climb through a historic building, master plan an entire corridor, and bring back to life a blighted area all within the same week. You will have the opportunity to aesthetically and physically impact an entire corridor through real estate development and urban design strategies. In December 2016, JEI founded its development subsidiary, East Jefferson Development Corporation (EJDevCo) to lead on-going real estate activities along the East Jefferson Corridor. Currently JEI & EJDevCo have $6.9M in real estate currently under construction with an additional $54M in an ever growing pipeline. This represents 200 units of mixed income housing and over 50,000 SF of commercial retail space that includes the Vanity Ballroom. You would be a part of a growing mission driven development organization passionate about inclusive neighborhood on-going JEI redevelopment projects that you would have the opportunity to be a part of:
Here is how you will make a difference through design, real estate, and small business support:
● Create and produce design concepts for a variety of projects ranging from rehab to new construction.
● Develop materials and graphics for project presentations to stakeholder and funders.
● Conduct site and building analysis summaries—planning, code, and zoning research
● Manage project schedule preparation, permit submittals, and consultant RFPs
● Coordinate schematic design, design development, and construction documentation process
● Interface externally with architects on material selections, specifications, and other construction documentation preparation items.
● Lead and manage all facets of project management (budget, schedule, procurement, quality & risk) for individual real estate projects including planning, design, construction, occupancy and closeout on redevelopment activities.
● Manage and interface with contractors for architecture, engineering, and construction projects.
● Manage documents and data necessary for obtaining pre-development loans and financing, grant reporting requirements, including CDBG façade, HOME funds, and MSHDA grants.
● Provide pre-development support for small to large scale residential/commercial mixed-use revitalization projects.
● Understanding of financial incentives, Brownfield, Tax Increment Financing, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, OPRA, New Market Tax Credits and Historic Tax Credits is highly desired.
● Work with entrepreneurs to design commercial business space or tenant improvements
● Work with landlords/landowners to design improvements to space.
● Support the creation of a local incentive district such as TRA, BID, TIF, etc.
In this position, you will collaborate with the City of Detroit, state agencies, funders and neighborhood organizations, including:
● City of Detroit planning, economic development, housing and revitalization, and BSEED departments
● Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC)
● State Agencies: MEDC and MSHDA
● Philanthropic partners: Enterprise Community Partners and The Kresge Foundation
● Wayne State University Tech Town
● Neighborhood residents and businesses
Our Ideal Candidate:
JEI seeks a highly motivated candidate with great design skills. This candidate thrives in a fluid environment and takes initiative. You are either a licensed architect or interested in becoming one as part of your journey at JEI. You have proven project management acumen with strong leadership to keep your work and everyone else on track, and the ability to say no. Most important, you know how to build trusting relationships that lead to collaborations with our partners, including the JEI team,
community members, local business/property owners, city staff, funders and peer organizations. Above all, you love urban spaces and want to be immersed in Detroit’s transformation.
Education and Experience
● Bachelors in Architecture, Real Estate Development, Urban Planning, Urban Design, Business, or a related field.
● Master’s degree preferred.
● 3 – 5 years design, construction administration, documentation and project management experience
● Experience with complex urban affordable housing, commercial retail space and workplace projects is highly desired.
Certifications & Licenses
● Licensed architect or pursuing licensure and LEED AP preferred
● Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or similar preferred
Skills & Tools
● Ability to design and render in 3D programs including AutoCad, SketchUp, Revit or similar modeling programs
● Proficient in Adobe Design products such as PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator or other vector programs.
● Experience with Microsoft Project
● Familiarity with permitting process (experience in Detroit preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
● $60,000-65,000, depending on qualifications
● Benefits including 401k, Healthcare, Vision, Dental, and Long-term disability
● Flexible work environment
● Generous paid time off
About Jefferson East, Inc.
Founded as the Jefferson East Business Association in 1994, today Jefferson East, Inc. (JEI) creates pathways of opportunity for Detroit residents and businesses on the east side.
Provide a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 30, 2018.